Patagonia Yulex Wetsuit Buying Guide - Winter 2018
Patagonia’s Yulex revolution is reformulated in this season’s range – with more stretch and comfort than ever to ensure you have fun in the surf, with less impact on the environment.
Neoprene is hard on the planet, so Patagonia aim safeguard the surf industry by making wetsuits out of alternative, organic materials. Utilising Yulex as their main fabric, all Patagonia Wetsuits are 85% natural rubber – unlike most wettys they’re not petroleum-based, so the manufacturing process has significantly less CO2 emission. Patagonia ensure their wetsuits compete with the best in the business by making the remaining 15% from synthetic rubber. For winter 2018 their wetsuits offer far greater stretch than previous seasons to make getting them on and off easier, without impacting their durability and performance.
Investing in one of Patagonia’s R Series Yulex Wetsuits is a great choice – both for your enjoyment of the waves and doing your bit to help protect the planet too. With extra stretch added to the 2018 range, they're even better than ever, but which Patagonia Wetsuit it best for you?
We’ll take you through:
- The value of investing in a Patagonia Wetsuit
- Which R Series Yulex Wetsuit is right for you
- Patagonia Wetsuit sizing
- Trying on a Patagonia Wetsuit
- How your wetsuit should fit
We'll also look at:
- Taking care of your Patagonia Wetsuit
- Patagonia Wetsuit warranty
- Patagonia Boots and Gloves
Are Patagonia Wetsuits worth the price?
We think so! This season they offer better performance stretch than previous versions, they’re super warm and durable, and they’re better for the planet than anything else on the market. They come with Patagonia’s Ironclad Guarantee too, so if for any reason you’re unhappy with your wetsuit, it will be replaced, repaired or refunded, no questions asked.
Which is the right Patagonia Wetsuit for me?
Find the right R Series suit for you by using the following table. It takes into account Patagonia Wetsuit thickness, weight, and recommended temperature ranges.
|Temp Guide (°C)||16 - 18||13 - 16||9 -13||3 - 9||0 - 3|
|Temp Guide (°F)||60 - 65||55 - 60||48 - 55||38 - 48||32 - 38|
Once you've decided which is the right one for you, check out our Patagonia Wetsuit Sizing Charts.
How do I try on my Patagonia Wetsuit?
We’d recommend grabbing a buddy to help you try on your Patagonia Wetsuit. Even with the extra stretch in Patagonia's new Yulex, wetsuits are hard to get on, especially when trying to get them over your chest and shoulders.
- Step in though the chest opening one foot at a time, get the leg material pulled all the way into position on both legs and the ankle seals in the right place.
- Wriggle the wetsuit over your hips and up your torso a bit.
- One arm at a time, try get all the way into the sleeves and slip the suit over your shoulders (this is where you might need help).
- Once that’s done, all you need to do is pull the top section over your head, close the zip and you’re good to go!
Make sure someone is around to help you get it off again. Wetsuits can be really tricky to take off again when they’re new, especially once you're cold and wet.
How should my wetsuit fit?
Patagonia's older Yulex Wetsuits are pretty stiff when you first put them on, so don’t be surprised if yours feels marginally tighter than you were expecting. The 2018 winter line-up has a improved stretch that ups performance and makes them way easier to get on and off, but in terms of fit, it’s the same as trying on any wetsuit. You’re looking for a snug fit, but absolutely no material bunching or space at the neck, wrists or ankles that would allow water to flush when you’re surfing. You shouldn’t feel restricted by your wetsuit, so think about paddling, being able to pop up and moving freely once you’re wearing it. Make sure your wrist and ankle seals sit where you’d expect them to in terms of length, and be sure to check that you can close the chest zip fairly easily. Remember, your new suit will feel stiff, but it will loosen a little after a few sessions.
How to look after a Patagonia Yulex Wetsuit
Look after you Patagonia Wetsuit and it’ll last a lot longer. Keep it away from rough surfaces and watch your finger nails when taking it on and off – you don’t want to damage the fabric. Once you’re done surfing, rinse the wetsuit with fresh water and hang it inside-out to dry off. If you need to wash your Patagonia Wetsuit use mild, non-detergent soap, and never put it in a washing machine. Store your wetsuit on a hanger to avoid creases, and don't leave it out in the sun.
Patagonia stand by their Ironclad Guarantee for every wetsuit they sell. If your wetsuit doesn’t perform to your expectations, they’ll take it back and repair it, replace it, or offer a full refund.
Patagonia Gloves and Booties